Hi! If u have lost ur way and come here, u are free to turn back and get back to whatever u were doing! Dont tell me I didnt warn you. Contents of this page are MY VIEWS! If ur views differ, GO HAVE UR OWN BLOG!!! The contents are just my way of lookin at things, which may be right or wrong! I am not a racist, MCP, Political... Hell! I am not even informed on half the things to form an opinion! I just write what i feel that moment! Cheers!!!

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Hope... is beautiful!!!


I had the good fortune to watch an excellent movie recently... "Life is beautiful". This Italian masterpiece "La Vita e bella" is probably one of the most beautifully made movies in in world cinema...

The story is about a Jewish bookkeeper Guido (played to perfection by Roberto Benigni) and his family, during the Nazi era.

While I have seen many World War II movies, or war movies in general, what makes this movie special is the hope that it brims you with, once you are thru with the movie. Guido and his family are taken to one of the many concentration camps that were prevalent during Hitler's regime. What can a father do in this case? Does he tell him the grim reality, scaring the little boy to death? Does he try to do something heroic (like our desi movies) and save the boy and his family(making it too far fetched to believe)? NO! Instead, Guido tells the kid that the whole thing is a game, and the winner gets a real tank!


What I loved about the movie is the beautiful way in which Guido seeks hope in the darkest moment. His is the character that I cannot relate to, but would love to have an attitude like his. Be it wooing his lady love in a very innocent but cute manner, or hiding the racial discrimination that was meted against them for not being the 'Aryan' race, or saving his son's life in the most unusual yet believable manner thru sheer optimism.

How many times have we faced situations where we have faced despair, lost hope, immersed ourselves in self pity and bawled away to doom to everyone about out fate or kismet?? I have done that a lot of times. While I am not guaranteeing that I shall never do it again, what this movie taught me is what you see is what you get! While I believe in being realistic, than optimistic or pessimistic, this movie showed me the difference in being realistic and being cynical or critical about one's choices.

I guess, our lives are governed by the choices that we make... But then, once a choice is made, we spend too much time analyzing if the choice made was correct and incorrect. Our ineptitude to identify the present from the 'recent past' makes us not cherish the present. Irrespective of the choices we make, I have been inspired by this movie to live the present to the fullest, and plan the future without ruining the present. Irrespective of the darndest situation that engulfs us, we get bogged down only if we lose hope. And this movie has taught me that 'Nothing is worth losing your hope for'.

Yes, I agree... Life is indeed beautiful. and 'Hope' makes it so...

11 comments:

vidya said...

words are jes the reflection of how u feel inside ... and i am happy for what u feel now :)

Ashok said...

Another amazing movie about hope is "The Shawshank Redemption" which by now you would have guessed is one of my favourite movies of all time.

I remember seeing "Life is Beautiful" when I was in India. That was the time when I was ready to watch some foreing movies but only selective. It really is an amazing movie experience. And the point you said about losing time over regret is true indeed. I am able to practice it to the best I can. Very nice feeling to move on, rather than being stuck ! :-).

Kaos said...

how come ur blog address changed? and yes shawshank is a brilliant movie. not seen life is beautiful yet.

Shruti said...

i third the motion on shawshank :) what struck me the most about your narrative is the many many perspectives that people in the same situation have.. and that seems to make so much of a difference doesnt it. recently read a book on the horrors committed by the SS in the scandinavian countries.. that wasnt quite so.. hope-inspiring. more like horror and disgust.
this was a different perspective.. nice :)

passer by said...

cool maan..in that case that would be the next movie to download..

watched Shawshank redemption recently loved it, more so cos is watched the stupid Metro the same day...that brings in relativity..,college house roast was manna dew after hostel mess'(pun intended) tyres..

that reminds me..watch cheeni kum a beautiful movie..

i_r_squared said...

'allo!

La Vita e Bella is good, yes. But I'm not here to comment on the movies. Welcome back!

Shiv said...

@Vidya: Thanks a ton!!! I am feelin good I guess :)
@Ashok: Exactly... I read this in some book... If u had a problem a year back, and today, on the hindsight, if the problem doesnt appear big enough, then it probably was never big enough a year back too. :)
@Nee: Ive not seen Shawshank :( but after so many referrals, i am defnly watching it this weekend :) I changed the blog address recently. Thought, ill get a fresh new start! :)
@Shruti: I guess, credit must be given to Roberto Benigni, to have handled this subject in such a beautiful manner, without leaving us suffering from a bout of depression. Its a lively character that one had to fall in love with. :)
@Sash: I guess, looking at the above comments, I am pretty confident that Shawshank would ve held on its own without Metro's ineffectiveness :) Loved ur review of Cheeni Kum dude! :) Gotta catch that movie ASAP.
@Raghu: Thanks a lot mate! :)

Aru said...

Iam not going to talk about Shawshank. It defenitely would sound cliched now. Well nicely written and seems like the new found free time is doing you way too good !!..

passer by said...

hey foker.. why no activity here ?

Si_Lee said...

plan for the furture without spoiling the present and dont lose hope...u know all these things though true even when put into practice do not purge that sorrow within just motivate u to keep movin..atleast thats wat i think..its not a cure..just a medium to bear it and move on...wat say...?

Anonymous said...

Pebbles Personal Checks