Hi! If u have lost ur way and come here, u are free to turn back and get back to whatever u were doing! Dont tell me I didnt warn you. Contents of this page are MY VIEWS! If ur views differ, GO HAVE UR OWN BLOG!!! The contents are just my way of lookin at things, which may be right or wrong! I am not a racist, MCP, Political... Hell! I am not even informed on half the things to form an opinion! I just write what i feel that moment! Cheers!!!

Friday, June 16, 2006

Saapadu...

Well, having lived in Mumbai for almost 17 years, I wud always say that I am a Mumbaikar at heart! I mean, i can live on the Vada-Pavs and the Paani Puris sold by those hawkers standin by the railway station or the signal, with the busses,cars and every other vehicle possible adding to the flavour (courtesy pollution). But still the taste is brilliant! For all those of you, who love the cleanliness while makin food, this might not be ur recipe for a sumptous meal... but then, who the hell cares... The food tastes great, and this is Mumbai for u!!! And i loved it all...

U know, being a Tam-Bram based in Mumbai is sooo cool, esp if u are a foodie! I mean, at our home, I can remember being fed idly sambhar and dosa chutney, even before i was fed cerelac (intentional hyperbole!!!). N once i grew up, I remember the breakfasts having Pongal too.. Ven Pongal with chutney and Ghotsu. For the ill informed, Pongal is the tamil version of Kheer, Ghotsu is well... Ghotsu! Ven Pongal is lotsa Ghee with Pongal! And then ofcourse who can forget the elixir of life, thair sadam! (curd rice!) I mean, no true tam-bram who belongs to the lineage can deny loving Thair Sadam... and the innumerable helpings of mavadu or some other urga (achar/pickles). Whatever said and done, i feel Sambhar has been our contribution to the world... well, to Indian cuisines across the world. I mean, all my friends relish the crap that i cook and feed 'em, callin it Sambhar! My cousin abroad has her American n punjabi friends swoonin over the Liquid she proclaims as Sambhar too... :)

Oh! i forgot the kara kolambus... (the sibling of Sambhar, which is stronger and more spicier!) and Rasam (Sambhar without too much dal, and with lotsa tomatoes and Tamarind!) So u see, what a vital role Sambhar plays in our lives!!! I mean, it is the perfect side dish. With rice and dollops of ghee, with Curd rice, with dosa, pongal, idli, pakoda, u name it, and it can be used! (hell! when my mom is not lookin i actually have it as a side dish for pulao too!!!). Vada Sambhar is another famous combo which every tambram must know accept and relish!!! And the poriyals too... the Urlakalangu (Potatoes) and its siblings (senai) played such an important role in our brought up! And the Avials too!!!

Today I am in Kochi, cookin my own crap, eatin my sorry excuses for food! And missin ghar ka khana... call me a foodie to have devoted a whole blog for food! All typical tamil saapadu... whatever said n done, nothin can bring the taste of Veetu Saapadu (Home food!) All that talk has made me hungry like hell!!! As i cant gt home food, ill settle for the next best thing! Ill grab a beer (with urga!) n then some chicken 65 and finally end up with some fried rice from the roattu kadai (read as hawker) and go to sleep! Buonas noches n Bon Apetit! (different Languages i Know!!!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the first blog!!!....lol loved it ...u r ready to open that tamil eatout place:)...btw what is ghotsu?

Anonymous said...

man u have been payin attention while ur mom made anything with sambar daal!....so u hate women in madisar huh...;)

Shiv said...

@Hmmm... Thanks... Am pretty sure the eat out place will be pretty much of a flop!!! N madisar clad women, are pretty gady... dont u think so?

Anonymous said...

yo there pal!
well begun is half done...what could be better than food for a start!!! keep it coming

Shiv said...

@Anty...
Thanks da... hope to write a lot more on more interesting things... kep viewin the blog da... and ur comments are as always awaited!